Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

ISE Academic Advising

Faculty, administrators, and professional staff on this campus consider advising both a responsibility and an opportunity for enriching and enhancing each student’s pattern of learning and personal development. Central to the mission of academic advising at the university is teaching students to understand the purpose of the curriculum and fostering their intellectual and personal development toward academic success and lifelong learning. Through individual, collaborative relationships with academic advisors, students are best able to define and implement sound educational plans that are consistent with their personal values, goals, and career plans.

Advisor Schedules

Advisors are working a hybrid schedule with on-campus and virtual appointment availability. Please refer to this chart for your advisor’s schedule and contact your advisor with any questions.

Advisor On Campus Virtual
Rachel Duncan
523 John Tickle Engineering Building
M, T, W Th, F

Meet your ISE Academic Advisor

Rachel Duncan, M.Ed.

Rachel joined the ISE department in fall, 2019. She served as the Academic Advisor for the College of Allied Health Sciences at the University of Cincinnati  after earning her degrees in English and Higher Education Administration from Middle Tennessee State University. She loves her family, ice cream, to shop, and the ISE students!

Rachel advises all undergraduate students in the ISE department. Please reach out to her for assistance regarding course planning, career exploration, internships and co-ops, and research opportunities.

Office: 523 John Tickle Building
Phone: 865-974-7651

Current undergraduate Industrial and Systems Engineering students who have completed EF 151/157-152/158 or Physics 135/137-136/138 and Math 141/147 -142/148 in the Tickle College of Engineering will be advised every semester before their scheduled registration times. Students will receive a Vol Academic Connect email inviting them to schedule an individual advising appointment with the ISE Academic Advisor, Rachel Duncan (525F Tickle). Students on academic probation will see their academic advisor more frequently.

Students who have not completed the above courses will be advised in the Engineering Advising Office (Perkins 316A).

Be prepared to speak about your academic plan, performance, and career goals. Your academic advisor can also speak to you about career exploration, co-ops and internships, study abroad, joining a club, tutoring, and many other resources on campus.

The role of the academic advisor is to help you co-create your experience and support you along the way. We are an excellent resource!

Student and Advisor Expectations 

Current Students: All appointments are scheduled through a system called Vol Academic Connect. You can access Vol Academic Connect from your My UTK account.

Once a semester, you will receive an email prompt from Vol Academic Connect requesting that you schedule an appointment with your advisor. Please schedule an appointment and show up. This is time designated to help you plan for the next term. Students on academic probation will see their academic advisor more frequently.

You can use the Vol Academic Connect system to schedule further appointments as well.

Prospective Students and Guests: Please email the Academic Advisor directly to set up an appointment. Rachel, the ISE Academic Advisor, can be reached at

What is my DARS report?

DARS stands for Degree Audit Reporting System. This system shows all the classes and requirements you have met, are meeting, and will need to meet in order to graduate with a degree from UT. It is the main tool that advisors will use when reviewing your academic history. You also have access to it on your My UTK account. If you want to learn more about how to access your DARS report, check out this video from CEE advisor Jenai Davis.

How to Access Your DARS

What should I do outside of taking classes?

There are many opportunities to get involved with Industrial and Systems Engineering outside the classroom. Co-ops, internships, study abroad, clubs, and research are just a few things to think about. Your advisor can provide you with more detail during your appointments.

Can I get class credit for co-op?

Yes! You must have completed three “semesters” (summer counts as a semester) at the co-op to attain class credit for EF 333. EF 333 counts as a technical elective in Industrial and Systems Engineering. Please talk to the Engineering Professional Practice Office for more information on this.

I need to withdraw from the university. How do I do this?

Inform your advisor if you intend to withdraw from the university. You should complete a simple online form before leaving campus. Student who do choose to withdraw will need to apply for readmission prior to their next term of anticipated enrollment.

Students on a temporary leave due to a co-op opportunity arranged through the Office of Engineering Professional Practice or a study abroad opportunity arranged through the Office of Programs Abroad do NOT need to complete this form since the university is already aware of their plans and systems are in place to handle them.

How do I apply to graduate?

Visit your My UTK account. At the bottom of the page, there is a link that reads “Apply to Graduate”. For more information, please reference the Graduation website.

I want to continue my education. What programs are available in ISE?

Popular programs include the five-year BS/MS program and our Dual Degree (MS and MBA) program. Please visit the “Graduate” tab on the Industrial and Systems Engineering Website for more information.