The Logistics, Transportation, and Supply Chain (LTS) Engineering lab (502 John D. Tickle Engineering Building), directed by Dr. Mingzhou Jin, applies operations research, simulation, traffic modeling, statistical analysis, cost/benefit analysis, and other engineering techniques to address issues in logistics, transportation, advanced manufacturing, and supply chain. Dr. Jin, the director of the lab, has done about forty projects in those areas with the total funding for more than $8 million. The sponsors include America Makes, USDOT, Department of Homeland Security, NASA, three state DOTs, American Trucking Associations, several University Transportation Centers, and various companies, such as FedEx, Nissan, and Lockheed Martin. Dr. Jin is currently the president of the Logistics and Supply Chain division of the Institute for Industrial and Systems Engineers and the past president of the Engineering Economy division. He is serving in the editorial boards of the journals of The Engineering Economists and the International Journal of Production Economics and is the subject editor of the Journal of Cleaner Production for Advanced and Sustainable Manufacturing.
Dr. Jin was awarded the 2017 Dr. Kenneth Kirby Endowed Faculty Award
Dr. Jin was awarded the 2016 IISE Outstanding Regional Faculty Advisor Award for the Mid-Atlantic Region and recognized during the 2017 IISE Annual Conference
Franco van Wyka, Dr, Vlok, Dr. Jin and Dr. Khojand won 2016 IIE Industrial and Systems Engineering Conference, Best Paper award for the Engineering Economic Analysis Track, “Incorporating Business Risks in Physical Asset Replacement: A Case in the Mining Industry”
Dr. Jin won the 2016 College of Engineering Outstanding Advising Award
Dr. Jin is appointed as the 2015/2016 CTR Fellow
Dr. Jin won the 2015 College of Engineering Teaching Fellow Award, the highest teaching award in the college.
Ying Zhang, Jinglu Song, and Leandra Church won the First place in the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) 2014 Logistics and Supply Chain Case Study Competition.
Dr. Jin won the 2014 IIE Award for Excellence in the Teaching of Logistics and Supply Chain.
- Advanced Manufacturing and its interaction with modern supply chain management and sustainability,
- Logistic analysis based on network and integer optimization,
- Supply chain management,
- Traffic modeling, optimization, and analysis for intermodal freight network,
- Data analytics,
- Material handling
- Production planning,
- Reliability and maintainability analysis,
- Life-cycle assessment and techno-economic analysis for new energy technologies, and
- Dr. Mingzhou Jin (Director)
- Dr. Zhenhong Lin
- Dr. Anahita Khojandi
- Dr. Andrew Yu
- Dr. Yanyan Wang (Visiting Scholar)
- Dr. Yitao Wang (Visiting Scholar)
- Dr. Liangqing Feng (Former Visiting Scholar)
- Dr. Wei Li (Former Visiting Scholar)
- Dr. Jianping Hao (Former Visiting Scholar)
- Mr. Shengliang Xu (Former Visiting Scholar)
- Ms. Amy Xu (Researcher)
- Dr. Haodong Li (Former Visiting Scholar)
Affiliated Research Assistants and PhD Students
- Jeremy Hale
- Hyseyin Kose
- Wenquan Dong
- Rui Li
- Taner Cokyasar
- Franco van Wyka
- Suresh Rangan
- Whitney Forbes
- Nawei Liu (Graduated in 2017)
- Ying Zhang (Graduated in 2017)
- Nelson Granda-Marulanda (Graduated in2017)
- Jinglu Song (Graduated in 2016)
- Licheng Zhang (Graduated in 2017)
- Sandra Affare (Graduated in 2016)
- Them Bui (Graduated in 2015)
- Center for Business and Engineering of Advanced Manufacturing (BEAM), Office of Research and Engagement, University of Tennessee, Jin, 2017-2018.
- Additive Manufacturing Support and Research, DOE – Y12 – Consolidated Nuclear Security, Jin, 2017-2018
- Modeling Market Penetration of Vehicle Electrification and Automation, Jin, Lin and Kobza, Denso, 20170.
- Flight Risk Analysis, Validation, and Optimization (Phase II), FedEx, Jin, 2016-2017
- Optimization of Power Management and Performance Improvement of Electric Vehicles, Volkswagen, Ostrowski and Jin, 2015-2016.
- Digital Threading of Additive Manufacturing, America Makes through Boeing, Jin and Shylo, 2015-2017.
- D&A for Climate Change, ORNL, Jin, 2015-2017
- Flight Risk Analysis, Validation, and Optimization, FedEx, Jin and Garcia, 2014-2015
- Integrated Network Capacity Analysis for Freight Railroads, funded by National Center for Rail and Tennessee Department of Transportation, Jin, 2014.
- Stochastic Optimization of Power Management of Plug-in Electric Vehicles, Science Alliance, Jin, 2014.
- A Simulation Model for Intermodal Freight Transportation in Louisiana, the National Center for Intermodal Transportation for Economic Competitiveness and Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development through Louisianan State University, Jin and Zhu, 2013-2014.
- Macro-level Intermodal Capacity Modeling, the National Center for Intermodal Transportation through Hampton University, Jin, 2013-2014.
- Freight Network Analysis for Railroads, the National Center for Rail and Tennessee Department of Transportation, Jin, 2013.
- Development of Performance Measurement for Freight Transportation, the National Center for Intermodal Transportation for Economic Competitiveness through Louisianan State University, Jin and Zhu, 2012-2013.
- The Impact of Carbon Policies on Supply Chain Design and Logistics Operations of a Major Retailer, the Baker Center for Public Policy, Jin, 2012.
- Cooperative/Collaborative Supply Chain, Lockheed Martin, Jin, 2009-2012.
- Real-Time Identification and Monitoring of Barge-Carried Hazardous Commodities (Phase III), the SERRI program of US Department of Homeland Security, Jin, 2011-2012.
- Decision Support Tools for Transportation Resilience and Security, U.S. Department of Transportation, Jin, 2009-2013.
Selected Recent Journal Papers
- Liu, J. Zhang, M. Jin, S. Liu, X. Chang, N. Xie, and Y. Wang “Key Indices of the Remanufacturing Industry in China Using a Combined Method of Grey Incidence Analysis and Grey Clustering,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 168, pp. 1348-1357, 2017.
- L. Zhang, M. Jin, Z. Ye, H. Li, D. Clarke, and Y. Wang “Macro-Level Classification Yard Capacity Modeling,” Transportation Research Record, Journal of Transportation Research Board, 2608, pp. 125-133 2017.
- W. Li, M. Jin, M. Lai, “Two-stage Remanufacturing Decision Makings Considering Product Life Cycle and Consumer Perception,”Journal of Cleaner Production, 161, pp. 581-590, 2017.
- M. Jin, R. Tang, Y. Ji, F. Liu, L. Gao, and D. Huisingh, “Impact of Advanced Manufacturing on Sustainability,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 161, 69-74, 2017.
- H. Li, M. Jin, S. He, Z. Ye, and J. Song, “Optimal Track Utilization in Electric Multiple Unit Depots,” Computers and Industrial Engineering, 108, pp. 81-87, 2017.
- K. He, R. Tang, and M. Jin, Pareto Fronts of Machining Parameters for Trade-off among Energy Consumption, Cutting Force and Processing Time, International Journal of Production Economics, 185, pp. 113-127, 2017.
- J. Mao, A. Ribes, B. Yan, X. Shi, R. P. Thornton, R. Séférian, P. Ciais, R. B. Myneni,, H. Douville, S. Piao, Z. Zhu, R. E. Dickson, Y. Dai, D. M. Ricciuto, M. Jin, F. M. Hoffman, B. Wang, M. Huang, and X. Lian, Human-induced greening of the northern extratropical land surface, Nature Climate Change, Published online, 27 June 2016.
- C. Wang, Z. Ye, W. Wang, and M. Jin “Traffic-related heavy metal contamination in urban areas and correlation with traffic activity in China,” Transportation Research Record, Journal of Transportation Research Board, 2571, pp. 80-89, 2016.
- M. Roni, S. Eksioglu, M. Jin, and S. Mamun, “A hybrid inventory policy with split delivery under regular and surge demand,” International Journal of Production Economics, 172, pp. 126–136, 2016.
- H. Li, M. Jin, R. Song, S. He, and J. Song, “Dynamic Railcar Connection Planning in Classification Yards,” Transportation Letters, The International Journal of Transportation Research, 8 (2) pp. 77-89 2016.
- Q. Zhong, R. Tang, J. Lv, S. Jia, and M. Jin,” Evaluation on models of calculating energy consumption in metal cutting processes: a case of external turning process”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 16, pp. 1-13, 2015.
- H. Li, M. Jin, and S. He “Sequencing and Scheduling in Railway Classification Yards,” Transportation Research Record, Journal of Transportation Research Board, Volume 2475, pp. 72-80, 2015.
- M. Jin and A. Yu, “Procurement Auctions and Supply Chain Performance,” International Journal of Production Economics, 162, pp. 192-200, 2015.
- A. Khaled, M. Jin, D. Clarke, and M.A. Hoque, “Train Design and Routing Optimization for Evaluating Criticality of Freight Railroad Infrastructures,” Transportation Research B, 71 (1), pp. 71-84, 2015.
- Roni, M. Jin, and S. Ekisoglu, “A Hybrid Inventory Management System Responding to Regular Demand and Surge Demand,” OMEGA: The International Journal of Management Science, 52, pp. 190-200, 2015.
- M. Jin, N.A. Granda-Marulanda, and I. Down, “The Impact of Carbon Policies on Supply Chain Design and Logistics of a Major Retailer,” the Journal of Cleaner Production, 85, 453-461, 2014.
- X. Zhu, A. Garcia-Diaz, M. Jin, and Y. Zhang, “Vehicle Fuel Consumption Minimization in Routing Over-Dimensioned and Overweight Trucks in Capacitated Transportation Networks,” the Journal of Cleaner Production, 85, pp. 331-336, 2014.
- N. Nan, J. Savolainen, Z. Niu, M. Jin, J. C. Cheng, “A Systems Approach to Product Line Requirements Reuse,” IEEE Systems Journal, 8 (3), pp. 827-836, 2014.
- Wen, L. Zhang, Z. Huang, M. Jin, “Incorporating transportation network modeling tools within transportation economic impact studies of disasters,” Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, 1 (4), pp. 247-260, 2014.
- H. Parsaand and M. Jin, “An Improved Approximation for the Renewal Function and Its Integral with an Application in Two-Echelon Inventory,” International Journal of Production Economics, 146 (1), pp. 142-152, 2013.
- M. Jin and G. Agirbas, “Lateral Transshipment of Slow Moving Critical Medical Items,” IIE Transactions for Healthcare Systems Engineering, 3 (3), 1930-206, 2013.
- L. Zhang, J. Gou, and M. Jin, “A Model of Integrated Corridor Traffic Optimization,” Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2311, pp. 108-116, 2012.
- L. Li, M. Jin, and L. Zhang, “Sheltering Network Planning and Management Responding to Natural Disasters,” International Journal of Production Economics, 131 (2), 4 pp. 31-440, 2011.
- N. Niu, M. Jin, and J.C. Cheng, “A Case Study of Exploiting ERP Requirements,” Information Systems, 5 (2), pp. 183-206, 2011.
- S. N. Proon and M. Jin, “A Genetic Algorithm with Neighborhood Search for the Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problem,” Naval Research Logistics, 58 (2), pp. 73-82, 2011.
- B. Eksioglu, S. Eksioglu, J. Zhang, and M. Jin, “A Simulation Model to Analyze the Impact of Outsourcing on Furniture Supply Chain Performance,” Forest Products Journal, 60 (3), pp. 258-265, 2010.
- S. D. Eksioglu, B. Eksioglu, C. T. Walden, M. Jin and A. Acharya, “Automotive Distribution Network Design: A Support System for Transportation Infrastructure Decision Makers,” International Journal of Business and Systems Research, 4 (4), pp. 379 – 401, 2010.
- M. Jin and B. Eksioglu, “Optimal Routing of Vehicles with Communication Capability in Disasters,” Computational Management Science, 7 (2), pp. 121-137, 2010.
- M. Jin, S. Eksioglu, B. Eksioglu and H. Wang, “Mode Selection for Automotive Distribution with Quantity Discounts,” Networks and Spatial Economics, 10 (1), pp. 1-13, 2010.
- R. Q. Hu, W. Hu, M. Jin and Y. Qian, “Wavelength Retuning without Service Interruption in an All-Optical Survivable Network,” International Journal of Communication Systems, 22 (6), pp. 719-738, 2009.
- J. Willers, M. Jin, B. Eksioglu, A. Zusmanis, C. O’Hara and J. Jenkins, “A Post-Processing Step Error Correction Algorithm for Overlapping LiDAR Strips from Agricultural Landscapes,” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 64 (2), pp. 183–193, 2008.
- M. Jin, M. Swizter and G. Agirbas, “Six Sigma and Lean in Healthcare Logistics Center Design and Operation: A Case at North Mississippi Health Service,” International Journal of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage, 4 (3), pp. 270-288, 2008.
- M. Jin, Y. Luo and S. Ekioglu, “Integration of Production Sequencing and Outbound Logistics in the Automotive Industry,” International Journal of Production Economics, 113 (2), pp. 766-774, 2008.
- B. Eksioglu, M. Jin, I. Capar and Z. Zhang, “Highway Traffic Management in Incidents of National Significance,” Journal of Emergence Management, 6 (1), pp. 23-36, 2008.
- M. Jin, K. Liu and B. Ekioglu, “A Column Generation Approach for the Split Delivery Vehicle Routing Problem,” Operations Research Letters, 36 (2), pp. 265-270, 2008.
- Z. Zhang and M. Jin, “Iterative Multi-attribute Multi-unit Reverse Auctions,” The Engineering Economist, 52 (4), pp. 333- 354, 2007
- M. Jin and S. D. Wu, “Capacity Reservation Contracts for High-Tech Industry,” European Journal of Operational Research, 176 (3), pp. 1659-1677, 2007.
- M. Jin, K. Liu and R. O. Bowden, “A Two Stage Exact Approach to the Split Delivery Vehicle Routing Problem with Valid Inequalities,” International Journal of Production Economics, 105 (1), pp. 228-242, 2007.
- H. Wang and M. Jin, “Transportation Performance Measurement System with a Case Study in Mississippi,” The Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, 45 (3), pp. 19-37, 2006.
- M. Jin, S. D. Wu and M. Erkoc, “Multiple unit auctions with Economies and Diseconomies of Scale,” European Journal of Operational Research, 174 (2), pp. 816-834, 2006.
- M. Jin and S. D. Wu, “Supplier Coalitions in On-Line Reverse Auctions: Validity Requirements and Profit Distribution Scheme,” International Journal of Production Economics, 100 (2), pp. 183-194, 2006.
- M. Jin and W. Guo, “EZ M-parking System,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 1944, pp. 67-71, 2006.
- Q. Hu, R. Best, Y. Qian and M. Jin, “A Scheduling Algorithm in a Core Optical Router with Heterogeneous Traffic,” International Journal on Wireless & Optical Communications, 3 (1), pp. 1-22, 2006.
- M. Jin, R. Q. Hu, Z. Zhang and W. Hu, “Integer Linear Programming Models and Performance Evaluation on Wavelength Rearrangement in a Mesh-Restored All-Optical Network,” IEEE Communications Letters, 10 (2), pp. 111-113, 2006.