Please click here for Covid-19 Case Track and Trend Analysis Provided by LTS
The Logistics, Transportation, and Supply Chain (LTS) Engineering lab (502 John D. Tickle Engineering Building), directed by Dr. Mingzhou Jin, applies operations research, simulation, traffic modeling, statistical analysis, cost/benefit analysis, and other engineering techniques to address issues in logistics, transportation, advanced manufacturing, and supply chain. Dr. Jin, the director of the lab, has done about sixty projects in those areas with the total funding for more than $8 million. The sponsors include NSF, America Makes, USDOT, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Energy, NASA, three state DOTs, American Trucking Associations, Material Handling Industry, several University Transportation Centers, and various companies, such as FedEx, Nissan, and Lockheed Martin. Dr. Jin was the president of the Logistics and Supply Chain division of the Institute for Industrial and Systems Engineers and the president of the Engineering Economy division. He is serving in the editorial boards of the journals of The Engineering Economists and the International Journal of Production Economics and is the associate editor of the Journal of Cleaner Production for Advanced and Sustainable Manufacturing.
Dr. Jin Received 2020 UTK Chancellor’s Research and Creative Achievement Award
Dr. Jin Received 2020 Tickle College of Engineering Research Achievement Award
Dr. Jin was elected to be the IISE Fellow in 2018
Taner Cokyasar, Huseyin Kose, Wenquan Dong, Dr. Xueping Li, Dr. Mingzhou Jin and Dr. Wei Li won 2018 IISE Industrial and Systems Engineering Conference, Best Paper award for the Logistics and Supply Chain Track, “An Agent-Based Simulation Model for Optimization of Spare Parts Sourcing with Additive Manufacturing”
Dr. Jin received 2018 Tickle College of Engineering Outstanding Faculty Service Award
Dr. Jin was awarded the 2017 Dr. Kenneth Kirby Endowed Faculty Award
Dr. Jin was awarded the 2016 IISE Outstanding Regional Faculty Advisor Award for the Mid-Atlantic Region and recognized during the 2017 IISE Annual Conference
Dr. Jin won the 2016 College of Engineering Outstanding Advising Award
Dr. Jin won the 2015 College of Engineering Teaching Fellow Award, the highest teaching award in the college.
- Advanced Manufacturing and its interaction with modern supply chain management and sustainability,
- Logistic analysis based on network and integer optimization,
- Supply chain management,
- Traffic modeling, optimization, and analysis for intermodal freight network,
- Data analytics,
- Material handling
- Production planning,
- Reliability and maintainability analysis,
- Life-cycle assessment and techno-economic analysis for new energy technologies, and
- Dr. Mingzhou Jin (Director)
- Dr. Zhongshun Shi (Associate Director)
- Dr. Zhenhong Lin
- Dr. Anahita Khojandi
- Dr. Andrew Yu
- Dr. Yuyan Wang (Visiting Scholar)
- Dr. Wenchuan Li (Visiting Scholar)
- Dr. Yanyan Wang (Visiting Scholar)
- Dr. Yitao Wang (Visiting Scholar)
- Dr. Liangqing Feng (Former Visiting Scholar)
- Dr. Wei Li (Former Visiting Scholar)
- Dr. Jianping Hao (Former Visiting Scholar)
- Mr. Shengliang Xu (Former Visiting Scholar)
- Ms. Amy Xu (Researcher)
- Dr. Haodong Li (Former Visiting Scholar)
Affiliated Research Assistants and PhD Students
- Colton Ku
- Jeremy Hale
- Hang Ma
- Hyseyin Kose
- Wenquan Dong
- Rongyuan Tang
- Rui Zhou
- Rui Li
- Taner Cokyasar
- Suresh Rangan
- Franco van Wyka (Graduated in 2019)
- Whitney Forbes (Graduated in 2018)
- Nawei Liu (Graduated in 2017)
- Ying Zhang (Graduated in 2017)
- Nelson Granda-Marulanda (Graduated in2017)
- Jinglu Song (Graduated in 2016)
- Licheng Zhang (Graduated in 2017)
- Sandra Affare (Graduated in 2016)
- Them Bui (Graduated in 2015)
- Enhancing POLARIS agent-based framework, Argonne National Lab,Jin, 2020,.
- Coupled FEWS Modeling for Sustainability of the Global Crop Supply Chain with a Focus on US-China Interactions, NSF, Jin, 2019-2023.
- Industrial Waste Management and Smart Manufacturing, ORNL, Jin, 2018-2020.
- Choice, Design and Operations of Crane-based 3D AS/RS, Material Handling Industry, Jin, 2020.
- Energy Exascale Earth System Model (ELM), Oak Ridge National Lab, 2019-2020.
- The 2019 International Conference on Cleaner Production and Sustainability, NSF, Jin, 2091-2020.
- Materials Management Optimization via Technology Deployment, DOE – Y12 – Consolidated Nuclear Security, Jin 2019-2020..
- Policy Study – Adoption of Alternative Fuel Vehicles, Oak Ridge National Lab, 2018-2020.
- Improvement of Park-and-Ride Facilities and Services in Metropolitan Areas of Tennessee, Tennessee Department of Transportation, Khojandi and Jin, 2019-2020.
- Center for Business and Engineering of Advanced Manufacturing (BEAM), Office of Research and Engagement, University of Tennessee, Jin, 2017-2020.
- Additive Manufacturing Support and Research, DOE – Y12 – Consolidated Nuclear Security, Jin, 2017-2020.
- Quantify Freeway Safety Service Patrol and Protect the Queue Impact on Transportation Network Reliability, Tennessee Department of Transportation, Lee and Jin, 2019-2020
- Flight Risk Analysis, Validation, and Optimization, FedEx, Jin, 2014-2021
- Flight Reserve Optimization, FedEx, Jin, 2018-2021.
- D&A for Climate Change, ORNL, Jin, 2015-2020.
- Optimization of Power Management and Performance Improvement of Electric Vehicles, Volkswagen, Ostrowski and Jin, 2015-2016.
- Digital Threading of Additive Manufacturing, America Makes through Boeing, Jin and Shylo, 2015-2017
- Integrated Network Capacity Analysis for Freight Railroads, funded by National Center for Rail and Tennessee Department of Transportation, Jin, 2014.
- Stochastic Optimization of Power Management of Plug-in Electric Vehicles, Science Alliance, Jin, 2014.
- A Simulation Model for Intermodal Freight Transportation in Louisiana, the National Center for Intermodal Transportation for Economic Competitiveness and Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development through Louisianan State University, Jin and Zhu, 2013-2014.
- Macro-level Intermodal Capacity Modeling, the National Center for Intermodal Transportation through Hampton University, Jin, 2013-2014.
- Freight Network Analysis for Railroads, the National Center for Rail and Tennessee Department of Transportation, Jin, 2013.
- Development of Performance Measurement for Freight Transportation, the National Center for Intermodal Transportation for Economic Competitiveness through Louisianan State University, Jin and Zhu, 2012-2013.
- The Impact of Carbon Policies on Supply Chain Design and Logistics Operations of a Major Retailer, the Baker Center for Public Policy, Jin, 2012.
- Cooperative/Collaborative Supply Chain, Lockheed Martin, Jin, 2009-2012.
- Real-Time Identification and Monitoring of Barge-Carried Hazardous Commodities (Phase III), the SERRI program of US Department of Homeland Security, Jin, 2011-2012.
- Decision Support Tools for Transportation Resilience and Security, U.S. Department of Transportation, Jin, 2009-2013.
Selected Recent Journal Papers
- Chen, R. Tang, J. Mao*, C.Yue, X. Li, M. Gao, X. Shi, M. Jin, D. Ricciuto, S. Rabin, P. Ciais, S. Piao, “Spatiotemporal dynamics of ecosystem fires and biomass burning-induced carbon emissions in China over the past two decades”, Accepted by Geography and Sustainability, 2020.
- S. Xu, W. Dong, M. Jin*, and Li Wang, “Single-Machine Scheduling with Fixed or Flexible Maintenance,” Accepted by Computers and Industrial Engineering, 2020.
- H. Kose, M. Jin*, and T. Peng, “Quality and Productivity Trade-off in Powder-Bed Additive Manufacturing,” Accepted by Progress in Additive Manufacturing, 2020.
- W. Liu, D. Qin, N. Shen, J. Zhang, M. Jin*, N. Xie, J. Chen1, X. Chang, “Optimal pricing for a multi-echelon closed-loop supply chain with different power structures and product dual differences”, Accepted by Journal of Cleaner Production, 2020.
- L. Feng, D. Huang, M. Jin*, W. Li, Z. He, A. Yu, “Quality Control Scheme Selection with a Case of Aviation Equipment Development”, Accepted by Engineering Management Journal, 2019.
- N. Liu, Z. Lin*, F. Xie, M. Jin, “Evaluating National Hydrogen Refueling Infrastructure Requirement and Economic Competitiveness of Fuel Cell Electric Long-haul Trucks”, Accepted by Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, 2019.
- W. Forbes, J. Mao *, D.M. Ricciuto, S. Kao, X. Shi, A.A. Tavakoly, M. Jin*, et al. “Streamflow in the Columbia River Basin: Quantifying changes over the period 1951-2008 and determining the drivers of those changes,” Water Resources Research, 55(8), 6640-6652, 2019.
- J. Shi. R. Wang. W. Chen. L. Xing, M. Jin*, “Bi-objective Design of Household E-Waste Collection with Public Advertising and Competition from Informal Sectors,” Waste Management, 102, 65-75, 2020
- P. Ma, Y. Gong, M. Jin, “Quality Efforts in Medical Supply Chains Considering Patient Benefits,” European Journal of Operational Research, 279(3), 795-807, 2019
- T. Cokyasar, M. Jin*, A. Garcia, “Optimization of size and timing of base-salary increases”, The Engineering Economist, 64(2), 97-115, 2019.
- Y. Wang*, Z. Yu, M. Jin, “E-commerce supply chains under capital constraints,” Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 35, 2019.
- F. Xie, N. Liu, M. Jin, Z. Liu*, “Impacts of the Consumer Heterogeneity in Fuel Economy Valuation on Compliance with Fuel Economy Standards”, Energy, 177, 167-174, 2019.
- D, Vance, Nimbalkar*, A. Thekdi, K. Armstrong, T. Wenning, J. Cresko, M. Jin, “Estimation of and Barriers to Waste Heat Recovery from Harsh Environments in Industrial Processes,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 222, 539-549, 2019.
- P. Kelle*, J. Song, M. Jin, H. Schneider, C. Claypool, “Evaluation of operational and environmental sustainability tradeoffs in multimodal freight transportation planning,” International Journal of Production Economics, 209, 411-420, 2019.
- W. Liu, W. Ma, Y. Hu, M. Jin*, K. Li, X. Chang, X. Yu, “Production planning for stochastic manufacturing/remanufacturing system with demand substitution using a hybrid ant colony system algorithm,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 213, 999-1010, 2019.
- J.B. Oliveira, M. Jin, R.S. Lima, J.E. Kobza, J.A.B Montevechi, “The role of simulation and optimization methods in supply chain risk management: performance and review standpoints,” Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 92, 17-44, 2019.
- Y. Ding and M. Jin*, “Service and Pricing Strategies in Online Retailing under Carbon Emission Regulation,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 217, 85-94, 2019.
- Q. Bai, Y. Gong, M. Jin*, X. Xu, “Effects of carbon emission reduction on supply chain coordination with vendor-managed deteriorating product inventory,” International Journal of Production Economics, 208, 83-99, 2019.
- K. He, R. Tang, M. Jin*, Y. Cao, and S. Nimbalkar, “Energy modeling and efficiency analysis of aluminum die casting processes,” Energy Efficiency, 12(5) 1167-1182, 2019.
- W. Forbes, J. Mao*, Jiafu, M. Jin*, et al. “Contribution of environmental forcings to US runoff changes for the period 1950-2010″, Environmental Research Letters, 13, 054023, 2018.
- W. Liu, J., Zhang, M. Jin*, S. Liu, X. Chang, N. Xie, and Y. Wang “Key Indices of the Remanufacturing Industry in China Using a Combined Method of Grey Incidence Analysis and Grey Clustering,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 168, pp. 1348-1357, 2017.
- L. Zhang, M. Jin*, Z. Ye, H. Li, D. Clarke, and Y. Wang “Macro-Level Classification Yard Capacity Modeling,” Transportation Research Record, Journal of Transportation Research Board, 2608, pp. 125-133 2017.
- W. Li, M. Jin*, M. Lai, “Two-stage Remanufacturing Decision Makings Considering Product Life Cycle and Consumer Perception,”Journal of Cleaner Production, 161, pp. 581-590, 2017.
- M. Jin*, R. Tang, Y. Ji, F. Liu, L. Gao, and D. Huisingh, “Impact of Advanced Manufacturing on Sustainability,” Journal of Cleaner Production, 161, 69-74, 2017.
- H. Li, M. Jin*, S. He, Z. Ye, and J. Song, “Optimal Track Utilization in Electric Multiple Unit Depots,” Computers and Industrial Engineering, 108, pp. 81-87, 2017.
- K. He, R. Tang, and M. Jin*, Pareto Fronts of Machining Parameters for Trade-off among Energy Consumption, Cutting Force and Processing Time, International Journal of Production Economics, 185, pp. 113-127, 2017.
- J. Mao, A. Ribes, B. Yan, X. Shi, R. P. Thornton, R. Séférian, P. Ciais, R. B. Myneni,, H. Douville, S. Piao, Z. Zhu, R. E. Dickson, Y. Dai, D. M. Ricciuto, M. Jin, F. M. Hoffman, B. Wang, M. Huang, and X. Lian, Human-induced greening of the northern extratropical land surface, Nature Climate Change, Published online, 27 June 2016.
- C. Wang, Z. Ye, W. Wang, and M. Jin “Traffic-related heavy metal contamination in urban areas and correlation with traffic activity in China,” Transportation Research Record, Journal of Transportation Research Board, 2571, pp. 80-89, 2016.
- M. Roni, S. Eksioglu, M. Jin, and S. Mamun, “A hybrid inventory policy with split delivery under regular and surge demand,” International Journal of Production Economics, 172, pp. 126–136, 2016.
- H. Li, M. Jin, R. Song, S. He, and J. Song, “Dynamic Railcar Connection Planning in Classification Yards,” Transportation Letters, The International Journal of Transportation Research, 8 (2) pp. 77-89 2016.
- Q. Zhong, R. Tang, J. Lv, S. Jia, and M. Jin,” Evaluation on models of calculating energy consumption in metal cutting processes: a case of external turning process”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 16, pp. 1-13, 2015.
- H. Li, M. Jin, and S. He “Sequencing and Scheduling in Railway Classification Yards,” Transportation Research Record, Journal of Transportation Research Board, Volume 2475, pp. 72-80, 2015.
- M. Jin and A. Yu, “Procurement Auctions and Supply Chain Performance,” International Journal of Production Economics, 162, pp. 192-200, 2015.
- A. Khaled, M. Jin, D. Clarke, and M.A. Hoque, “Train Design and Routing Optimization for Evaluating Criticality of Freight Railroad Infrastructures,” Transportation Research B, 71 (1), pp. 71-84, 2015.
- Roni, M. Jin, and S. Ekisoglu, “A Hybrid Inventory Management System Responding to Regular Demand and Surge Demand,” OMEGA: The International Journal of Management Science, 52, pp. 190-200, 2015.
- M. Jin, N.A. Granda-Marulanda, and I. Down, “The Impact of Carbon Policies on Supply Chain Design and Logistics of a Major Retailer,” the Journal of Cleaner Production, 85, 453-461, 2014.
- X. Zhu, A. Garcia-Diaz, M. Jin, and Y. Zhang, “Vehicle Fuel Consumption Minimization in Routing Over-Dimensioned and Overweight Trucks in Capacitated Transportation Networks,” the Journal of Cleaner Production, 85, pp. 331-336, 2014.
- N. Nan, J. Savolainen, Z. Niu, M. Jin, J. C. Cheng, “A Systems Approach to Product Line Requirements Reuse,” IEEE Systems Journal, 8 (3), pp. 827-836, 2014.
- Wen, L. Zhang, Z. Huang, M. Jin, “Incorporating transportation network modeling tools within transportation economic impact studies of disasters,” Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, 1 (4), pp. 247-260, 2014.
- H. Parsaand and M. Jin, “An Improved Approximation for the Renewal Function and Its Integral with an Application in Two-Echelon Inventory,” International Journal of Production Economics, 146 (1), pp. 142-152, 2013.
- M. Jin and G. Agirbas, “Lateral Transshipment of Slow Moving Critical Medical Items,” IIE Transactions for Healthcare Systems Engineering, 3 (3), 1930-206, 2013.
- L. Zhang, J. Gou, and M. Jin, “A Model of Integrated Corridor Traffic Optimization,” Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2311, pp. 108-116, 2012.
- L. Li, M. Jin, and L. Zhang, “Sheltering Network Planning and Management Responding to Natural Disasters,” International Journal of Production Economics, 131 (2), 4 pp. 31-440, 2011.
- N. Niu, M. Jin, and J.C. Cheng, “A Case Study of Exploiting ERP Requirements,” Information Systems, 5 (2), pp. 183-206, 2011.
- S. N. Proon and M. Jin, “A Genetic Algorithm with Neighborhood Search for the Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problem,” Naval Research Logistics, 58 (2), pp. 73-82, 2011.
- B. Eksioglu, S. Eksioglu, J. Zhang, and M. Jin, “A Simulation Model to Analyze the Impact of Outsourcing on Furniture Supply Chain Performance,” Forest Products Journal, 60 (3), pp. 258-265, 2010.
- S. D. Eksioglu, B. Eksioglu, C. T. Walden, M. Jin and A. Acharya, “Automotive Distribution Network Design: A Support System for Transportation Infrastructure Decision Makers,” International Journal of Business and Systems Research, 4 (4), pp. 379 – 401, 2010.
- M. Jin and B. Eksioglu, “Optimal Routing of Vehicles with Communication Capability in Disasters,” Computational Management Science, 7 (2), pp. 121-137, 2010.
- M. Jin, S. Eksioglu, B. Eksioglu and H. Wang, “Mode Selection for Automotive Distribution with Quantity Discounts,” Networks and Spatial Economics, 10 (1), pp. 1-13, 2010.
- R. Q. Hu, W. Hu, M. Jin and Y. Qian, “Wavelength Retuning without Service Interruption in an All-Optical Survivable Network,” International Journal of Communication Systems, 22 (6), pp. 719-738, 2009.
- J. Willers, M. Jin, B. Eksioglu, A. Zusmanis, C. O’Hara and J. Jenkins, “A Post-Processing Step Error Correction Algorithm for Overlapping LiDAR Strips from Agricultural Landscapes,” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 64 (2), pp. 183–193, 2008.
- M. Jin, M. Swizter and G. Agirbas, “Six Sigma and Lean in Healthcare Logistics Center Design and Operation: A Case at North Mississippi Health Service,” International Journal of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage, 4 (3), pp. 270-288, 2008.
- M. Jin, Y. Luo and S. Ekioglu, “Integration of Production Sequencing and Outbound Logistics in the Automotive Industry,” International Journal of Production Economics, 113 (2), pp. 766-774, 2008.
- B. Eksioglu, M. Jin, I. Capar and Z. Zhang, “Highway Traffic Management in Incidents of National Significance,” Journal of Emergence Management, 6 (1), pp. 23-36, 2008.
- M. Jin, K. Liu and B. Ekioglu, “A Column Generation Approach for the Split Delivery Vehicle Routing Problem,” Operations Research Letters, 36 (2), pp. 265-270, 2008.
- Z. Zhang and M. Jin, “Iterative Multi-attribute Multi-unit Reverse Auctions,” The Engineering Economist, 52 (4), pp. 333- 354, 2007
- M. Jin and S. D. Wu, “Capacity Reservation Contracts for High-Tech Industry,” European Journal of Operational Research, 176 (3), pp. 1659-1677, 2007.
- M. Jin, K. Liu and R. O. Bowden, “A Two Stage Exact Approach to the Split Delivery Vehicle Routing Problem with Valid Inequalities,” International Journal of Production Economics, 105 (1), pp. 228-242, 2007.
- H. Wang and M. Jin, “Transportation Performance Measurement System with a Case Study in Mississippi,” The Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, 45 (3), pp. 19-37, 2006.
- M. Jin, S. D. Wu and M. Erkoc, “Multiple unit auctions with Economies and Diseconomies of Scale,” European Journal of Operational Research, 174 (2), pp. 816-834, 2006.
- M. Jin and S. D. Wu, “Supplier Coalitions in On-Line Reverse Auctions: Validity Requirements and Profit Distribution Scheme,” International Journal of Production Economics, 100 (2), pp. 183-194, 2006.
- M. Jin and W. Guo, “EZ M-parking System,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 1944, pp. 67-71, 2006.
- Q. Hu, R. Best, Y. Qian and M. Jin, “A Scheduling Algorithm in a Core Optical Router with Heterogeneous Traffic,” International Journal on Wireless & Optical Communications, 3 (1), pp. 1-22, 2006.
- M. Jin, R. Q. Hu, Z. Zhang and W. Hu, “Integer Linear Programming Models and Performance Evaluation on Wavelength Rearrangement in a Mesh-Restored All-Optical Network,” IEEE Communications Letters, 10 (2), pp. 111-113, 2006.