The department offers a five-year BS-MS program with a major in industrial engineering for qualified students. The primary component of the program is a qualified student may take up to nine hours of approved graduate courses for their senior undergraduate courses and have them count toward both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees at UT. This program is designed for students attending UT for their Master of Science degree because other universities may not accept these courses for graduate credit since they were used to satisfy requirements for the Bachelor of Science degree. The student may also take an additional nine credit of courses, while working towards their bachelor’s, which will count only for the master’s degree. Qualifications for admission to the program are:
- The student must have an earned minimum cumulative GPA of at least 3.4 to be considered for admission to the program. Conditional admission may be granted the student after completing 65 hours of the required course work.
- Conditional admission must be obtained before taking a graduate course that is to be used to satisfy the requirements of both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Students admitted to the program must request permission from the Graduate School to take approved courses for graduate credit. Students admitted to the program must also follow the normal procedure for admission to the Graduate School.
- Full admission may be granted after completing 96 hours of required course work and with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4 in the required course work.
- Conditional and full admission of a student into this program must be approved by the Department of Industrial & Systems Engineering, the College of Engineering, and the Graduate School. The application form is below.
- Full admission must be obtained before taking a graduate course that is to be used to satisfy the requirements only for the master’s degree. These courses must be identified in advance, with the proposed master’s adviser or the Industrial Engineering Graduate Program Coordinator.
- Any course taken for graduate credit prior to satisfying all requirements for the bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering must be approved by the department head or designee and the Graduate School.
- A student will not be eligible for a graduate assistantship until the student is enrolled as a graduate-level student in the Graduate School, has satisfied all of the requirements for the bachelor’s degree, or the student is in the final semester of the bachelor’s degree and has completed all undergraduate industrial engineering coursework.