UT’s engineering management (EM) program provides practicing engineers with an experience that balances technical depth with leadership, project management, financial management, technology transfer, ethical and legal perspectives, team relations, organizational behavior and continuous quality improvement. It empowers you with the knowledge and skills needed to lead technical organizations or processes to success.
Students pursuing an online engineering management program from the UT have three certificate and degree options which include:
- Graduate Certificate
- Master’s Degree (major in Engineering Management)
- Doctoral Degree (major in Industrial Engineering with EM concentration)
What makes us different?
UT’s engineering management program has been designed for working professionals to gain the tools needed to advance their career. Most master’s students graduate within three years while continuing to work. Check out some of the things that make our online program one of the top ranked in the country.
- Professional engineers develop the knowledge, skills, and attitude required for engineers to manage technical organization.
- The programs is designed for the working engineer who could be located anywhere is the world.
- Our classes are both streamed live and recorded allowing our students to learn on their own time.
- We are a top-ranked program that started in 1983.
- Our students gain access to a network of talented peers through their program and our alumni.
- Our tuition is manageable with minimal out-of-state tuition for those outside of Tennessee.
- Remote learning opportunities allow our students to earn a top-ranked degree without leaving their job.
- For international students, our online learning program allows students to start their education from home, while they work and while they go through the US visa process. Students can complete the program in the US with an OPT experience.
Students who complete an online MS degree program will receive a Master of Science in Engineering Management from the University of Tennessee. The same degree as our full-time on-campus students—delivered by one of the most experienced distance/online faculty around.
Frequently Asked Questions
Want to learn more about our program? Check out our frequently asked questions below or contact us to have your questions answered.
The online engineering management program is designed for working engineers who are ready to advance their careers. Its unique curriculum developed by experienced faculty members allows for students to complete their program completely remote and on your own time.
Practicing engineers and scientific/technical professionals who are focused on technical engineering projects will excel in this program. Must be a graduate of an ABET-accredited undergraduate programs in engineering or hold a technical degree that satisfies prerequisites based on academic background.
More information about UT’s admission requirement is available from the graduate school, including any additional requirements for international students. Learn more about our admission requirements:
The tuition for our online EM program is about $700 per credit hour. Tuition for out-of-state students includes an additional $75 per credit hour (the out-of-state tuition for on-campus student is about $1,011 per credit hour). Our lower out-of-state tuition makes our program more financially feasible and within the tuition benefit from employers for many of our students who work and live in geographically diversified locations.
Each year, we accept applications for the following terms: fall (beginning in August), spring (beginning in January), and summer (beginning in late May). Final U.S. student applications are due two weeks before each term. International (non-U.S.) student applicants should use the following general deadlines for applying:
|Term||Deadline||File Completion Deadline|
|Fall||February 1||May 15|
|Spring||June 15||October 1|
|Summer||October 15||February 15|
If you are unable to start on time, your admission will be held for one year. Should you need to delay your start semester, contact Yvette Gooden.
UT’s Engineering Management program is here for our students when they are ready to learn and where they are located!
Our program is designed for working professionals. Our curriculum includes online materials and recorded lectures and seminars which allows our students to “go to class” when their busy schedules permit. All three of our EM programs are 100% distance.
Full-time working professionals can typically complete the requirements for an Engineering Management degree or certificate within three years. Learn more about the course requirements for an MS in Engineering Management.
For more information about the departmental policy regarding our graduate program, please review the department’s Graduate Handbook.