Howell Earns Prestigious BEYA Student Leadership Award

Congratulations are in order for Ka’Darell Howell, junior industrial engineering and mathematics major. She is the recipient of the Black Engineer of the Year Awards (BEYA) Student leadership award.

These awards are bestowed annually each February to recognize the outstanding accomplishments of science, engineering, technology and math professionals across college campuses, focusing on accomplishments of students on minority campuses across the nation.

“Initially, I was shocked,” said Howell. “I was nominated this past summer by my long-time mentor, Jalonda Thompson. I think this award was definitely a pleasant surprise for the both of us!”

Howell is among the group of ten college students selected from minority institutions that include Alabama A&M, Howard University, and Florida A&M, to name a few. These students were named as some of the most talented, giving, and accomplished students in America because of their advances and accomplishments in the STEM field.

“Servant leadership is a powerful approach to leadership that I was introduced to through ISE,” she said. “To me, being a leader means investing in my community and in the people around me.”

Howell explained that this award will help further her career in leadership, as she hopes to be a project coordinator after graduation. She noted that this award was a bright spot for her this year.

“With everything that has happened in the past year, with COVID-19 and transitioning to online courses, it is safe to say that we needed news like this,” she said. “It is super motivating, and it was a great reminder of why I do the things that I do.”

While there will be no in-person ceremony and celebration due to COVID-19 precautions. However there will be a virtual celebration that will occur on February 12. This ceremony will still highlight the achievements of Howell and these other outstanding students.

By Anna Katherine Underwood