Professor, Associate Head, and Director of Graduate Studies
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- Professor and Associate Department Head, Industrial and Systems Engineering, 2015-present
- Director of the Logistics, Transportation, and Supply Chain Management Lab, 2012-present
- Director of the Reliability and Maintainability Engineering Program, 2012-present
- Research Fellow at the Oak Ridge National Lab, 2014-present
- Affiliated Faculty Member of the Center for Transportation Research, 2014-present
- Associate Professor and Associate Department Head, Industrial and Systems Engineering, 2012-2015
Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS
- Associate Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering, 2008-2011
- Assistant Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering, 2002-2008
Lucent, Intern Engineer, 2001
Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, Research Assistant, Industrial and Systems Engineering, 1998-2001
- Senior Design
- Graduate Seminar
- Engineering Economy
- Stochastic Processes
- Optimization Method in Industrial Engineering
- Supply Chain Engineering
- Linear Programming
- Nonlinear Programming
- Network Flows
- Engineering Statistics II
- Systems Engineering and Analysis
- Logistics Engineering (Supply Chain Management)
- Manufacturing Systems Modeling
- Operations Research
- Logistics, Transportation, and Supply Chain Management (Director of the LTS lab)
- Advanced Manufacturing and Sustainability
- Data Analysis for Climate Change
- PhD, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Lehigh University, 2001
- MS, Management Science, Business School of Zhejiang University, 1998
- BS, Electrical Engineering and Mixed Class, Zhejiang University, 1995
- Subject Editor for Advanced and Sustainable Manufacturing, Journal of Cleaner Production, 2015-present
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Production Economics, 2013-present
- Editorial Board Member, The Engineering Economists, 2014-present
- President of the Logistics and Supply Chain Division of IIE, 2016-2017
- President of the Engineering Economy Division of IIE, 2014-2015
- Secretary of the Rail Application Society of INFORMS, 2014-2016
- Track Chairs for Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference, 2014, 2015, and 2016
Awards and Recognitions
- 2016 IIE Annual Conference Best Paper for the Engineering Economic Analysis Track
- 2016 College of Engineering Outstanding Advising Award
- 2015/2016 CTR Fellow
- 2015 College of Engineering Teaching Fellow Award
- 2014 Annual IIE Award for Excellence in the Teaching of Logistics and Supply Chain
- 2014 1st Place in IIE Logistics and Supply Chain Case Study Competition (Advisor)
- 2014 Distinguished Professor Awarded by the IIE Student Chapter at UT
- 2011, 2010 State Pride Faculty Award at MSU
- 2010 Hearin Faculty Excellence Award of Bagley College of Engineering, MSU
- 2009, 2006 Best Paper of the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at MSU
- 2008 Mississippi State University Faculty Research Award for Bagley College of Engineering at MSU
- Zhang, M. Jin, Z. Ye, H. Li, D. Clarke, and Y. Wang “Macro-Level Classification Yard Capacity Modeling,” accepted by Transportation Research Record, Journal of Transportation Research Board, 2017.
- He, R. Tang, and M. Jin, Pareto Fronts of Machining Parameters for Trade-off among Energy Consumption, Cutting Force and Processing Time, International Journal of Production Economics, 185, pp. 113-127, 2017.
- J. Mao, A. Ribes, B. Yan, X. Shi, R. P. Thornton, R. Séférian, P. Ciais, R. B. Myneni,, H. Douville, S. Piao, Z. Zhu, R. E. Dickson, Y. Dai, D. M. Ricciuto, M. Jin, F. M. Hoffman, B. Wang, M. Huang, and X. Lian, Human-induced greening of the northern extratropical land surface, Nature Climate Change, Published online, 27 June 2016.
- C. Wang, Z. Ye, W. Wang, and M. Jin “Traffic-related heavy metal contamination in urban areas and correlation with traffic activity in China,” Transportation Research Record, Journal of Transportation Research Board, 2571, pp. 80-89, 2016.
- M. Roni, S. Eksioglu, M. Jin, and S. Mamun, “A hybrid inventory policy with split delivery under regular and surge demand,” International Journal of Production Economics, 172, pp. 126–136, 2016.
- H. Li, M. Jin, R. Song, S. He, and J. Song, “Dynamic Railcar Connection Planning in Classification Yards,” Transportation Letters, The International Journal of Transportation Research, 8 (2) pp. 77-89 2016.
- Q. Zhong, R. Tang, J. Lv, S. Jia, and M. Jin,” Evaluation on models of calculating energy consumption in metal cutting processes: a case of external turning process”, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 16, pp. 1-13, 2015.
- H. Li, M. Jin, and S. He “Sequencing and Scheduling in Railway Classification Yards,” Transportation Research Record, Journal of Transportation Research Board, Volume 2475, pp. 72-80, 2015.
- M. Jin and A. Yu, “Procurement Auctions and Supply Chain Performance,” International Journal of Production Economics, 162, pp. 192-200, 2015.
- A. Khaled, M. Jin, D. Clarke, and M.A. Hoque, “Train Design and Routing Optimization for Evaluating Criticality of Freight Railroad Infrastructures,” Transportation Research B, 71 (1), pp. 71-84, 2015.
- Roni, M. Jin, and S. Ekisoglu, “A Hybrid Inventory Management System Responding to Regular Demand and Surge Demand,” OMEGA: The International Journal of Management Science, 52, pp. 190-200, 2015.
- M. Jin, N.A. Granda-Marulanda, and I. Down, “The Impact of Carbon Policies on Supply Chain Design and Logistics of a Major Retailer,” the Journal of Cleaner Production, 85, 453-461, 2014.
- X. Zhu, A. Garcia-Diaz, M. Jin, and Y. Zhang, “Vehicle Fuel Consumption Minimization in Routing Over-Dimensioned and Overweight Trucks in Capacitated Transportation Networks,” the Journal of Cleaner Production, 85, pp. 331-336, 2014.
- N. Nan, J. Savolainen, Z. Niu, M. Jin, J. C. Cheng, “A Systems Approach to Product Line Requirements Reuse,” IEEE Systems Journal, 8 (3), pp. 827-836, 2014.
- Wen, L. Zhang, Z. Huang, M. Jin, “Incorporating transportation network modeling tools within transportation economic impact studies of disasters,” Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, 1 (4), pp. 247-260, 2014.
- H. Parsaand and M. Jin, “An Improved Approximation for the Renewal Function and Its Integral with an Application in Two-Echelon Inventory,” International Journal of Production Economics, 146 (1), pp. 142-152, 2013.
- M. Jin and G. Agirbas, “Lateral Transshipment of Slow Moving Critical Medical Items,” IIE Transactions for Healthcare Systems Engineering, 3 (3), 1930-206, 2013.
- L. Zhang, J. Gou, and M. Jin, “A Model of Integrated Corridor Traffic Optimization,” Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2311, pp. 108-116, 2012.
- L. Li, M. Jin, and L. Zhang, “Sheltering Network Planning and Management Responding to Natural Disasters,” International Journal of Production Economics, 131 (2), 4 pp. 31-440, 2011.
- N. Niu, M. Jin, and J.C. Cheng, “A Case Study of Exploiting ERP Requirements,” Information Systems, 5 (2), pp. 183-206, 2011.
- S. N. Proon and M. Jin, “A Genetic Algorithm with Neighborhood Search for the Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problem,” Naval Research Logistics, 58 (2), pp. 73-82, 2011.
- B. Eksioglu, S. Eksioglu, J. Zhang, and M. Jin, “A Simulation Model to Analyze the Impact of Outsourcing on Furniture Supply Chain Performance,” Forest Products Journal, 60 (3), pp. 258-265, 2010.
- S. D. Eksioglu, B. Eksioglu, C. T. Walden, M. Jin and A. Acharya, “Automotive Distribution Network Design: A Support System for Transportation Infrastructure Decision Makers,” International Journal of Business and Systems Research, 4 (4), pp. 379 - 401, 2010.
- M. Jin and B. Eksioglu, “Optimal Routing of Vehicles with Communication Capability in Disasters,” Computational Management Science, 7 (2), pp. 121-137, 2010.
- M. Jin, S. Eksioglu, B. Eksioglu and H. Wang, “Mode Selection for Automotive Distribution with Quantity Discounts,” Networks and Spatial Economics, 10 (1), pp. 1-13, 2010.
- R. Q. Hu, W. Hu, M. Jin and Y. Qian, “Wavelength Retuning without Service Interruption in an All-Optical Survivable Network,” International Journal of Communication Systems, 22 (6), pp. 719-738, 2009.
- J. Willers, M. Jin, B. Eksioglu, A. Zusmanis, C. O’Hara and J. Jenkins, “A Post-Processing Step Error Correction Algorithm for Overlapping LiDAR Strips from Agricultural Landscapes,” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 64 (2), pp. 183–193, 2008.
- M. Jin, M. Swizter and G. Agirbas, “Six Sigma and Lean in Healthcare Logistics Center Design and Operation: A Case at North Mississippi Health Service,” International Journal of Six Sigma and Competitive Advantage, 4 (3), pp. 270-288, 2008.
- M. Jin, Y. Luo and S. Ekioglu, “Integration of Production Sequencing and Outbound Logistics in the Automotive Industry,” International Journal of Production Economics, 113 (2), pp. 766-774, 2008.
- B. Eksioglu, M. Jin, I. Capar and Z. Zhang, “Highway Traffic Management in Incidents of National Significance,” Journal of Emergence Management, 6 (1), pp. 23-36, 2008.
- M. Jin, K. Liu and B. Ekioglu, “A Column Generation Approach for the Split Delivery Vehicle Routing Problem,” Operations Research Letters, 36 (2), pp. 265-270, 2008.
- Z. Zhang and M. Jin, “Iterative Multi-attribute Multi-unit Reverse Auctions,” The Engineering Economist, 52 (4), pp. 333- 354, 2007
- M. Jin and S. D. Wu, “Capacity Reservation Contracts for High-Tech Industry,” European Journal of Operational Research, 176 (3), pp. 1659-1677, 2007.
- M. Jin, K. Liu and R. O. Bowden, “A Two Stage Exact Approach to the Split Delivery Vehicle Routing Problem with Valid Inequalities,” International Journal of Production Economics, 105 (1), pp. 228-242, 2007.
- H. Wang and M. Jin, “Transportation Performance Measurement System with a Case Study in Mississippi,” The Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, 45 (3), pp. 19-37, 2006.
- M. Jin, S. D. Wu and M. Erkoc, “Multiple unit auctions with Economies and Diseconomies of Scale,” European Journal of Operational Research, 174 (2), pp. 816-834, 2006.
- M. Jin and S. D. Wu, “Supplier Coalitions in On-Line Reverse Auctions: Validity Requirements and Profit Distribution Scheme,” International Journal of Production Economics, 100 (2), pp. 183-194, 2006.
- M. Jin and W. Guo, “EZ M-parking System,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 1944, pp. 67-71, 2006.
- Q. Hu, R. Best, Y. Qian and M. Jin, “A Scheduling Algorithm in a Core Optical Router with Heterogeneous Traffic,” International Journal on Wireless & Optical Communications, 3 (1), pp. 1-22, 2006.
- M. Jin, R. Q. Hu, Z. Zhang and W. Hu, “Integer Linear Programming Models and Performance Evaluation on Wavelength Rearrangement in a Mesh-Restored All-Optical Network,” IEEE Communications Letters, 10 (2), pp. 111-113, 2006.